Charities are being offered free cybersecurity assessments amid concerns that half of all small organisations are falling victim to cybercrime every year.
Trustees should hold yearly discussions on whether merging with another organisation would benefit their beneficiaries, the chair of a recently merged charity has said. Read the full article
The regulator published its annual report yesterday. This included a 60 per cent jump in its use of formal investigatory and enforcement powers compared to the previous year, 83 per cent more reports from whistle blowers inside the charity sector, and a 50 per cent increase in the number of serious incidents reports. Read the full story
The Community Shares Booster programme is open to applications to support local groups in England to set up or grow a community business. The programme is delivered by the Community Shares Unit and helps local groups to raise finance through community shares, which allow people to invest in and become owners of a community business. Initial grants of up to £10,000 are available to help local groups develop a community share offer, as well as match equity funding of up to £100,000 to enable the group to launch its community share offer and start raising investment for the business.
The Department for Business has launched a new online tool to help businesses in the UK prepare for Brexit. Users of the tool can submit answers to seven simple questions in order to be directed to the Brexit-related government guidance that is most relevant for their sector and the types of activities they carry out. There is also the opportunity to sign up to receive emails when the guidance is updated.
40% funding may be available (eligible businesses only*) for the following courses at Leeds Business School:• The Effective First Line Manager (ILM Leadership & Management, Level 3)
• The Effective Middle Manager (ILM Leadership & Management, Level 5)
• The Role of the Director & The Board (IoD Certificate in Company Direction module)
• Finance for Non-Financial Directors (IoD Certificate in Company Direction module)
• Strategy for Directors (IoD Certificate in Company Direction module)
• Leadership for Directors (IoD Certificate in Company Direction module)
• Developing Board Performance (IoD Diploma in Company Direction)
• Project Fundamentals (APM 3 day qualification programme) – Available through Leeds Beckett University’s School of Built Environment & Engineering.
• Project Management (APM 5 day qualification programme) – Available through Leeds Beckett University’s School of Built Environment & Engineering.
The Skills Service
The Skills Service offers a unique package of training and support for SMEs in the Leeds City Region.
• Planning: Free Skills Plan session for SMEs to plan employee training and stay ahead of industry trends.
• Funding: 40% funding from the European Social Fund towards training your workforce (eligible businesses only*).
• Training: Training and education opportunities across the region.
*SMEs in the Leeds City Region, participants must be in employment and 18+. Full eligibility at www.skillsservice.co.uk. The Skills Service is managed by the West Yorkshire Consortium of Colleges and funded by the European Social Fund (ESF).
To book your tickets to SEYH’s Annual Conference held at the Huddersfield Mission on Friday, 28th June:
The Ideas that Change Lives programme is funded through Leeds City Council Adult Social Care’s “Better Lives” initiative, which aims to ensure services help people to live independently. offers business guidance and financial investment to help organisations and individuals develop socially enterprising ideas. The types of activity they seek to fund include alternatives to traditional day care and support services; brokerage; health and wellbeing promoting activities, employment related opportunities and any other activities that enable people in Leeds with care and support needs to remain independent.
The deadline for submitting applications for both the Kick Start and Development Investment programmes is 12 noon on 10 July 2019.
For further information please contact the Leeds Community Foundation grants team:[email protected] / 0113 242 2426
The Cabinet Office have published a consultation document ‘Social Value in Government Procurement’, you can read more here. The deadline for responses is 10th June. We encourage you all to share this and send responses directly, the more they receive the better.
The Cabinet Office are expecting a response from Social Value UK and we would really like your thoughts in shaping this.
Social Value UK are setting up a 1-hour webinar to discuss this – 24th May 2019 12-1pm. Please join us for this by registering here.
Facebook has introduced four new features for small and mid-sized businesses on the platform. The features are automated ads, appointments, new video creative tools and new Blueprint training courses.